Connect with us

DraftKings

F1 DFS Picks: Austrian Grand Prix DraftKings Fantasy Racing Lineups

Phillip Beneteau

Published

on

DraftKings F1 DFS picks today and Fantasy Formula One Racing Predictions Bahrain Grand Prix Lewis Hamilton max verstappen

Formula 1 is at the Austrian Grand Prix for the home race of the Red Bull supporters. The track in Spielberg, Austria is also known as the Red Bull ring and Max Verstappen has clearly enjoyed racing at home as he has won four of the last five races here in you include both races in Austria in 2021. Verstappen did not disappoint the home crowd Saturday as he took home the sprint race earning the team eight more points and a pole position for Sunday’s race. The Ferraris were unable to keep up as Charles Leclerc finished 1.6 seconds behind with Carlos Sainz 5.6 seconds behind and will start second and third on the grid Sunday.

Need F1 DFS projections? sign up HERE.

The sprint race had quite a bit of excitement as Alpine’s Fernando Alonso was unable to get his car going prior to the race so he will be starting in 20th at the back of the grid. Alfa Romeo’s Guanyu Zhou also had difficulties as his car stalled out on him as he was coming to his starting grid position. He was forced to start the sprint race in 19th place but managed to climb back up to 14th place after the 23 laps. Aston Martin’s Sebastian Vettel went off the track in sector two on lap 11 which put him at the back of the grid, leading to an eventual retirement of the car because of damage.

Sprint races are extremely important to watch for DFS purposes in lead ups to Sunday’s race, because they are essentially mini 23 lap race, so you truly are able to see what kind of pace these cars will have and who has the best chances of a podium on Sunday. The most surprising action from Saturday’s sprint race was that the HAAS drivers were able to hold off Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton for a large portion of the race. If this is any indication of possible pace this weekend, it looks like playing a HAAS driver will be a great value piece to your DFS builds.

Get a risk free bet + 2 months FREE of Awesemo+ platinum all-access!

The Stokastic team of experts and data analysts has already been in the lab creating a proprietary model and has F1 DFS projections available for this week’s race. Using those F1 Fantasy projections, Stokastic has you covered with all of the best DraftKings F1DFS picks for the Austrian Grand Prix on Sunday.

F1 DFS Picks: DraftKings F1 Fantasy Racing Advice

Best F1 Fantasy & DFS Constructor Picks

Red Bull ($11,700)

This is the Red Bull ring and I have no problem going over board on them this weekend as my top cash game constructor and in GPP stacks with Max Verstappen. They will be chalk, but for good reason. Verstappen starting on pole is extremely beneficial, while Sergio Perez made his way up during the sprint race from 13th to a solid fifth place finish. A Red Bull podium is not hard to imagine this weekend.

Ferrari ($10,700)

This is more of a GPP play but can be used in cash if you are in need of the extra $1,000. Ferrari is coming off a win at the British Grand Prix, but their decision making skills have been put in question once again after allowing the two drivers to battled it out on track costing them both time and then missing their chance to pit Leclerc in the late stages in England. They are no doubt a top team and could easily grab a double podium on Sunday, but I don’t know if they have the ability to beat Verstappen at this track.

HAAS ($3,500)

Usually I have been saving this spot for the Mercedes team, but they just don’t quite have it this weekend. Both drivers had accidents in Friday’s qualifying and while both improved from their starting positions, they just don’t have the upside of the Red Bull and Ferrari teams this weekend. With that in mind, HAAS is only a GPP play where you are looking to get cute and are hoping for carnage. For this to work out you will need a Red Bull driver and Ferrari driver to crash out, and possibly a Mercedes one too. Both HAAS drivers managed to stay in the top 10 after the sprint race on Saturday and both showed some decent pace on the track. They don’t have a podium contending car, but with some carnage, this HAAS constructor play really gives you a different lineup construction. If you do roll with the $3,500 piece, you can fit Verstappen, Leclerc and whichever Mercedes driver you wanted, you’ll see my preference on which one below.

Tail Awesemo's Sports Betting Picks Today!

Best F1 Fantasy & DFS Driver Picks

Max Verstappen ($12,000 DraftKings; First)

Max Verstappen – Red Bull ring – lock and load. There is never a sure thing in F1 racing, but Verstappen is the driver I want to be rolling with this weekend. Get different somewhere else. If you are getting cute and going with a Ferrari driver as your captain I would highly suggest fading Verstappen and going with Ferrari as your constructor as well. Verstappen was a -120 favorite to start the week and is now sitting at -200 to win the race.

George Russell ($8,400 DraftKings; Fourth)

I purposely skipped over the Ferraris in this write-up because they will only be used in lineups that I am fading Verstappen in. If you are doing that, playing Perez in your flex makes sense too. If you are rolling with Verstappen then I believe Russell is your best flex option. He was forced out of the race last weekend after his car was helped back to the garage, but his performance on the track this weekend shows that he likes how the car feels. There is still a major gap between him and the top two teams – evidence of this is him being almost eight seconds behind the Ferraris in the sprint race – but anything can happen during a race. He is also starting four spots ahead of his more expensive team mate Lewis Hamilton.

Need F1 DFS projections? sign up HERE.

Esteban Ocon ($5,800 DraftKings; Sixth)

Looking to roll with Verstappen and fade the Ferrari and Mercedes drivers, well you have come to the right place. Esteban Ocon qualified in fifth and was only passed by Sergio Perez so now he will be starting in sixth on the grid for Sunday’s race. His upside is rather limited, but the fact that he has two HAAS cars directly behind him and that his team mate Fernando Alonso will be starting in 20th mean that he is almost guaranteed to receive the  bonus points if he finishes the race. Going Verstappen and dropping down to Ocon as your top flex driver allows you to get different in GPPs.

Check out today's FREE DFS tool of the day

Sign up HERE for our F1 DFS Projections package from some of the best daily fantasy players in the world, including Alex ‘Awesemo’ Baker.

Kevin Magnussen ($4,000 DraftKings; Seventh) & Mick Schumacher ($3,800 DraftKings; Ninth)

You’ve already heard me talk up the HAAS drivers in their constructor so I will just keep it brief here. Both drivers showed that this car has a quality pace around the Red Bull ring and that they both should be able to compete for points this weekend. Both drivers are cheap and both should be heavily owned in cash and GPPs. I won’t be playing both together and Magnussen is my preferred play of the two at just $200 more, but both are viable with point scoring upside.

Lance Stroll ($4,200 DraftKings; 13th)

Another driver who improved nicely on Saturday, Aston Martin’s Lance Stroll moved up from 17th in qualifying on Friday to 13th for Sunday’s race. He was not quite in striking distance of the cars in front of him, but the fact that his team mate, Sebastian Vettel, is starting in 19th is great for his bonus point upside. Stroll grades out as a top value option in the Stokastic tools.

Alex Albon ($3,600 DraftKings; 16th)

One of these days we are going to see Alex Albon back fighting for possible points. He had a fantastic start to the season scoring points in two of the first five races, but was beaten by his teammate Nicholas Latifi in three of his last five races. Albon starts two spots ahead of Latifi on Sunday and while I do think Albon offers a higher upside, both are in play if you need an absolute minimum priced play.

Guanyu Zhou ($3,200 DraftKings; 14th)

Zhou is the high-volatility GPP play of the weekend. His car stalled on the formation lap causing him to start at the back of the pack, but managed to have a strong sprint race and climb up to 14th. His team mate, Valtteri Bottas, seems to have hit a wall, while Zhou seems to be finding pace with his unreliable car. I call this the high-volatility play of the weekend because he is pretty much free but could potentially be racing for a top 10 spot, but there is also a chance that he crashes out or his car breaks down on him again and he ends up in 20th with a maximum of negative points. I do believe there is a chance he could pass Bottas on Sunday who is starting in 10th on the grid. I would try to avoid in cash games, but for GPPs he makes complete sense.

Join STOKASTIC+ today!
Use accurate data and advanced tools crafted by the #1 DFS player.

Sign up HERE for our F1 DFS Projections package from the No. 1 daily fantasy player in the world, Alex Baker.

Thanks for reading to the end of this article! If you appreciate this free content and want to see more of it every day, you can help us out by sharing this article on social media!

Looking for more F1 Fantasy content? We have loads of articles, projections and DraftKings F1 DFS picks and more on the Awesemo F1 DFS home page.

Subscriber Counter

We respect your email privacy