F1 DFS Picks: Canadian Grand Prix DraftKings Fantasy Racing Lineups

Formula 1 is back in Montreal for the first running of the Canadian Grand Prix since 2019. This is another street circuit that is similar to the Baku circuit from last weekend at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. The massive news from before qualifying was that both Yuki Tsunoda and Charles Leclerc took new parts on their car and have gone over their limits so each will be starting at the back of the grid on Sunday.

F1 DFS Picks: DraftKings F1 Fantasy Racing Advice

Free Practice three had some interesting times and laps completed because of the rain. The rain carried over through the day and stuck around through Q2. The start of qualifying was a slug fest as the top times were very far off the dry pace of this track as the top time was 1:32.219, by Max Verstappen. Both Aston Martin drivers failed to do anything in the rain and were unable to get out of Q1. Leclerc finished in 5th after Q1, so clearly his times were good compared to where he will be starting with the grid penalty.

Half of the drivers came out for Q2 in wets but the other half started on intermediates. Sergio Perez unfortunately locked up and crashed into the foam walls and was not able to continue. Q2 was red-flagged for a little bit of time until they were able to restart with a little drier temperature. With the track drying up, drivers were able to push a little harder on their tires which led to a top time of 1:23.746 by none other than Verstappen. Big names of Lando Norris,  Valterri Bottas, Alex Albon, and Charles Leclerc were all eliminated in Q2 after Leclerc and Norris weren’t even able to get a lap in because of car issues.

The rain stopped coming down for Q3 but it was still extremely wet. The most surprising thing to note from the start of Q3 which was seeing only one Ferrari and one Red Bull while both Alpines and both HAAS cars made it inside the top 10. Verstappen put in an incredible lap and got pole with a 1:21.299 as he will be joined on the front row by Fernando Alonso who performed incredibly well in the wet conditions posting a 1:21.944.

With these interesting starting positions for the Ferraris, it will be fun to see what sort of ownership they come in at. There is a chance that Leclerc could still work his way into a top 10 position for points and maximum placement advancement. Carlos Sainz should also be the higher owned Ferrari which is not the usual spot for DFS players. Both of these drivers are to be considered in GPPs, while I can see Sainz being owned in cash games.

The Stokastic team of experts and data analysts has already been in the lab creating a proprietary model and has F1 DFS projections available for this week’s race. Using those F1 Fantasy projections, Stokastic has you covered with all of the best DraftKings F1DFS picks for the Canadian Grand Prix on Sunday.

Best F1 Fantasy & DFS Constructor Picks

Red Bull ($11,500)

This is a very fun race for GPP players because of the increased variance we have with the rain we got in qualifying. At this point, it looks like it will be a dry race on Sunday, meaning many drivers could see some maximum positions moved up during the race on a track that has plenty of room for over-taking. I am still high on Red Bulls chances of being the top constructor option because I anticipate a strong race from Verstappen with a top 10 by Perez who is only starting in 13th. Because Perez is starting so far back, we have a couple other teams that should carry higher ownership than usual.

Alpine ($5,000)

Alpine will see their first start on the front row this year as Alonso put in a brilliant qualifying to start second on the grid. Alonso has been flying this weekend and he will be one of the best and highest-owned mid-plays this week because of his price and starting position. Many may feel like his only way is down, and while that may be true since I don’t see him actually contending against Verstappen for the win, I think he could pull in a podium finish which would be a massive amount of points for him and his constructor. Esteban Ocon also put in a strong qualifying and will start in seventh on Sunday. Both cars have a strong chance to finish inside the top 10 which would give them bonus points, with a possible podium from Alonso, all for just $5,000.

Mercedes ($9,300)

Mercedes should be the second highest owned constructor on Sunday with both drivers starting in the top 10 and both having a shot at a podium this weekend with the current grid set up. George Russell will be starting in eighth, while team mate Lewis Hamilton will be starting in fourth, giving him his best shot at a podium this year. This is Hamilton’s best starting position on the grid and with Leclerc stuck in the back and Perez starting in 13th, you have to think the Mercedes drviers have a strong chance to compete for big points on Sunday.

Best F1 Fantasy & DFS Driver Picks

Max Verstappen ($11,200 DraftKings; First)

There is no doubt we will see Verstappen be the chalk of the field after his dominant performance in qualifying and his overall success this season. He is currently a -275 to win this race and his top two “rivals” this season or Leclerc and Perez won’t even be starting in the top 10. Unless something happens to Verstappen’s car, it is his race to lose. Fade at your own risk. If you aren’t playing Verstappen, playing Perez may be interesting as I am guessing you would be thinking Verstappen is not able to complete the race giving Perez the bonus 5 points and he should see plenty of over-taking opportunities coming from 13th on the grid.

Fernando Alonso ($6,800 DraftKings; Second)

I am interested to see what Alonso’s ownership comes in considering his poor performance on race days this season. Alonso has back-to-back seventh place finishes, his best of the season, this will be his best chance to get on the podium in 2022. Alonso should be a cash game staple after Verstappen, but I could see people wanting to fade him depending on what his ownership projections come in just before the race.

Carlos Sainz ($9,400 DraftKings; Third)

As I previously stated, this week it will be interesting to see what kind of ownership we get on both of the Ferrari drivers. Sainz seems like a solid cash game play as he has a great chance to earn a podium finish and could easily see himself in a long battle for second with Alonso. Sainz also has a massive advantage to beat his team mate Leclerc who is starting back in 19th.

Lewis Hamilton ($8,400 DraftKings; Fourth)

For the first time in a while I am going to side with Lewis Hamilton this weekend. I can see him being played heavily in cash and still bringing in higher ownership in GPPs because of his name and starting position compared to his team mate Russell who is starting back in eighth. Hamilton didn’t have a great Free Practice sessions, but managed to control his car extremely well in the wet qualifying. I will have plenty of both Hamilton and Russell in my GPP lines this weekend as both offer their best podium chances with Leclerc starting in 20th and Perez in 13th.

Kevin Magnussen ($5,200 DraftKings; Fifth) & Mick Schumacher ($4,000 DraftKings; Sixth)

The HAAS drivers came to play on Saturday in the wet weather qualifying session as both put up their best starting grid positions in 2022. Magnussen has been the better driver this year and should be the higher-owned HAAS play, but anything can happen during a race. Schumacher looks to be an early favorite for value because of his qualifying spot compared to many drivers in his price range. I much prefer Magnussen if you can get to him for the extra $1,200, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if they did lose positions during the race Sunday. While they look nice on paper, I do worry that they could be fools gold because of the wet qualifying session.

Alex Albon ($4,400 DraftKings; 12th)

I’ll be honest, his starting position of 12th is a little deceiving. Yes, it will be the highest he will be starting on the grid this year, but he is starting just in front of Perez and Norris who I fully expect to pass him in the early going on Sunday. I love his chances at beating his team mate Nicholas Latifi who is starting back in 18th place, only starting ahead of Leclerc and Tsunoda because of their grid penalties. Albon is a strong cash game play and maybe he could see himself falling into a top 10 spot if the HAAS and Alpine cars slow up during the race.

Sebastian Vettel ($5,000 DraftKings; 15th)

I, like many, expected a better showing from Sebastian Vettel in qualifying, but the wet conditions clearly did not help the savvy veteran. While I noted that Albon could easily fall back a couple spots, I like that Vettel is starting behind Norris and Perez. Vettel showed some upside and pace during the FP sessions this week and could see himself jump into points on Sunday if his cards fall accordingly. Vettel is a sneaky GPP play in my opinion since I can see more people flock to Albon and the HAAS drivers who are all around his price.

Guanyu Zhou ($3,200 DraftKings; 10th)

Will Guanyu Zhou finish a race or will DNF like he has done in three of the previous four fights. He has a fantastic starting position on Sunday, but while he offers some cheap points at this price tag, he could also see himself getting negative points once again. Zhou is only a GPP play because I think there’s a higher likelihood that he loses points and falls behind his team mate Valtteri Bottas, but anything can happen in F1. Playing Zhou allows for an increased budget for the rest of your team.

Thanks for reading to the end of this article! If you appreciate this free content and want to see more of it every day, you can help us out by sharing this article on social media!

Looking for more F1 Fantasy content? We have loads of articles, projections and DraftKings F1 DFS picks and more on the Awesemo F1 DFS home page.
Teacher, writer and avid sports fan with a passion and love for F1 racing.

Stokastic +

Premium Data and Tools
PREMIUM TOOLS
Lineup Generator
Stokastic Sims MLB
PREMIUM DATA
Projections
Top Stack %s
MLB Data Central
FREE DATA
SoRare MLB Rankings
DraftKings Night Owl
FANTASY CRUNCHER (ADD-ON)
MLB Lineup Study
COMMUNITY
MLB Discord Server
PREMIUM DATA
Projections
Ownership Projections
PREMIUM TOOLS
Fantasy Cruncher (ADD-ON)
NHL Lineup Study
COMMUNITY
NHL Discord Server
PREMIUM TOOLS
Lineup Generator
Stokastic Sims PGA
PREMIUM DATA
Ownership Projections
Top Golfers Tool
PGA Tournament Models
FANTASY CRUNCHER (ADD-ON)
PGA Lineup Study
COMMUNITY
PGA Discord Server
Ownership Projections
Top Drivers Tool
NASCAR Discord Server
NASCAR Fantasy Cruncher
USFL Projections
USFL Discord Server
Ownership Projections
Top Fighters Tool
MMA Discord Server
MMA Fantasy Cruncher
NFL Betting Tools
Stokastic Discord Server
Best Ball
Best Ball Rankings
Best Ball Stat Projections
Stokastic Discord Server
Season Long Fantasy (Coming Soon)

DFS Winners from the Stokastic Community

Subscribe to the Stokastic newsletter

DFS advice, exciting promos, and the best bets straight to your inbox

Stokastic.com - Daily Fantasy Sports and Sports Betting Data, Tools, & Analytics

Please play responsibly. Only customers 21 and over are permitted to play. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem and wants help, call 1-800-GAMBLER.