DraftKings F1 DFS Preview: 2022 Austrian Grand Prix F1 Fantasy Picks & Advice

Formula 1 is heading to the home of Red Bull racing to the Spielberg track in Styria, Austria. Also known as the Red Bull ring, the Austrian Grand Prix is a place that Max Verstappen loves to race at. Verstappen has won three of the last four races here — 2018,2019 & 2021 — and he has also been at the top of his game this season.

The British Grand Prix had all sorts of drama including a first-lap red flag to the race because of a massive accident, a late safety car, a four-way battle for the podium and Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz coming home with his first ever Grand Prix win. British fans had plenty to cheer about as Lewis Hamilton was in top form and managed to claim a third-place finish at the Grand Prix.

While Verstappen was not even close to a podium this weekend, it really had nothing to do with his driving. He managed to get out in front of the Ferraris on the original start and then passed them again on the restart. Unfortunately, Verstappen ran over debris from the AlphaTauri cars, which massively impacted his car’s performance leading to a seventh-place finish. One of the bigger stories will be how once again the Ferrari team screwed over their top driver Charles Leclerc. From multiple angles, it looked like Ferrari had about six seconds to pit Leclerc for newer tires when the safety car came out late in the race, but ultimately they were only able to pit Sainz. In the end, Sainz would go on to win with Leclerc missing out on a podium finish in fourth.

This week has a different set up to the week as there will be a qualifying on Friday for the sprint race on Saturday which will eventually set up the grid for Sunday’s race. We already saw the first sprint race qualifying of the season in Imola at the end of April and it will appear twice more during the season, this week in Austria and in November for the Brazilian Grand Prix.

If looking for an in-depth source on F1 Fantasy Racing, check out the explanatory article on How to Play DraftKings F1 DFS. The Stokastic team of experts has created a proprietary model that has expert projections, led by Alex Baker himself. Check out Stokastic’s NEW F1 DFS projections.

DraftKings F1 Fantasy & DFS Racing Preview

Austrian – Grosser Preis von Osterreich Grand Prix

• Track: Spielberg
  • Length: 2.683 miles
  • Race Distance: 71 laps
  • Laps lead: 7.1 points
  • Fastest lap: 3 points
  • Past Winner: Max Verstappen (2021)
  • Betting Favorite: Max Verstappen (-120)

On Track Schedule (All Times Eastern)

• Friday, July 8
    • 7:30 a.m.: Free Practice 1
    • 11 a.m.: Qualifying
  • Saturday, July 9
    • 6:30 a.m.: Free Practice 2
    • 10:30 a.m.: Sprint Qualifying
  • Sunday, July 10
    • 9 a.m.: Lights Out

F1 Fantasy Preview for Austrian Grand Prix

We have seen some pretty major price moves from DraftKings heading into Austria. Our top-priced driver is still Max Verstappen for $12,000, and Charles Leclerc is at the same $11,200 from before, but Lewis Hamilton has jumped into the the third-priced driver on the grid at $10,200. Because of these pricing gaps now between teammates, it will be entirely possible to make lineups with two drivers from the top three constructor teams. Playing Verstappen at CAP with Leclerc and Red Bull is impossible to do, but going down from Leclerc to George Russell will leave you with $11,900 for the remaining three spots, while going with Carlos Sainz leave you with $10,700 for those same spots. Even if you wanted to go with Hamilton as your flex play, you can still fit in three drivers from different teams if you roll with Nicholas LatifiGuanyu Zhou and Mick Schumacher.

On the other hand, if you are back rolling with Ferrari here, you can fit Leclerc at CAP, with Verstappen in the flex, going with Ferrari as your constructor and it will still leave you with $10,500 for your three remaining spots. The last potential combination I can see people starting with is the Mercedes stack of Hamilton at CAP, with Verstappen and then Mercedes, which will leave you with $12,900 for your three remaining spots.

All this is presented to show you that there are a multitude of ways to go this weekend in Austria. At this point, going from England to Austria, I am expecting teams to have essentially the same car as last weekend so this continues to be a possible three-horse race with the top teams. As long as qualifying goes as planed, I will be looking at using two of the top six drivers and one of the top three constructors in most of my lineups this weekend.

DraftKings Grosser Preis von Osterreich F1 DFS Picks

Plain and simple, one of the biggest edges I am looking at this weekend will be playing George Russell over his teammate Lewis Hamilton. Russell got out of his car — that was heavily damaged — to make sure Zhou was ok after his accident. The clean up crew moved his car while he was not in it and because his car was not driven back to the pit, Russell was unable to take the restart. I only mention this because it was his first non-top-five finish of the year, and it was because his car was moved. Now anything could have happened and he could have finished outside of the top five at Silverstone, but I am expecting a bounce-back performance in a car that is clearly improved over the last couple of weeks. Not only that, he is now at his second-lowest price all season at $8,400.

In 2021, F1 actually raced in back-to-back weeks at this track. Max Verstappen was on pole for both races and won both races. Needless to say, I am expecting a bounce back performance after his gutsy seventh-place finish at the British Grand Prix. Considering his current price on the betting markets, I feel like -120 is very fair, but I can see him opening that up closer to -175, -200 by race day on Sunday. Red Bull is going to do everything they can to make sure Verstappen is on top of the podium at their home course.

With that said, my current cash game build is starting with Verstappen at CAP, with Russell in the flex and Red Bull as the constructor. If you do start that way, you will have plenty of ways to move your value plays around as you will essentially have everyone from Daniel Ricciardo down to choose from.

The Aston Martin price tags are starting to come up, but for good reason. Both cars have struggled mightily in the wet, but on clear dry tracks, the track is their oyster. Even after a horrendous qualifying in Great Britain, Sebastian Vettel clawed his way back from 18th to finish ninth place while his team mate, Lance Stroll, started in 20th place and climbed all the way back in to 11th. Not only that, their car is finally coming around after a horrendous start to the season where they had to quickly scrap their idea and move on with a new product. Keep an eye on the status of Guanyu Zhou and Alex Albon this weekend as both did receive medical treatment after their accidents on Sunday. I still expect both to race this weekend.

Free practice sessions will be crucial to seeing what sort of potential a team is showing as well as if there are any accidents that could affect the starting grid. As always, the DraftKings F1 lineup picks segment will be out after qualifying, as will Stokastic’s F1 DFS projections, which will be updated throughout the week.

Thanks for reading to the end of this article! If you appreciate this free content and want to see more of it every day, you can help us out by sharing this article on social media!

Looking for more F1 Fantasy content? We have loads of articles, projections and DraftKings F1 DFS picks and more on the Awesemo F1 DFS home page.
Teacher, writer and avid sports fan with a passion and love for F1 racing.

Stokastic +

Premium Data and Tools
PREMIUM TOOLS
Lineup Generator
Stokastic Sims MLB
PREMIUM DATA
Projections
Top Stack %s
MLB Data Central
FREE DATA
SoRare MLB Rankings
DraftKings Night Owl
FANTASY CRUNCHER (ADD-ON)
MLB Lineup Study
COMMUNITY
MLB Discord Server
PREMIUM DATA
Projections
Ownership Projections
PREMIUM TOOLS
Fantasy Cruncher (ADD-ON)
NHL Lineup Study
COMMUNITY
NHL Discord Server
PREMIUM TOOLS
Lineup Generator
Stokastic Sims PGA
PREMIUM DATA
Ownership Projections
Top Golfers Tool
PGA Tournament Models
FANTASY CRUNCHER (ADD-ON)
PGA Lineup Study
COMMUNITY
PGA Discord Server
Ownership Projections
Top Drivers Tool
NASCAR Discord Server
NASCAR Fantasy Cruncher
USFL Projections
USFL Discord Server
Ownership Projections
Top Fighters Tool
MMA Discord Server
MMA Fantasy Cruncher
NFL Betting Tools
Stokastic Discord Server
Best Ball
Best Ball Rankings
Best Ball Stat Projections
Stokastic Discord Server
Season Long Fantasy (Coming Soon)

Premium Data

NBA DFS Projections

NBA DFS Boom/Bust Probability

NBA DFS Ownership: Night Slate

NBA DFS Ownership – Express Slates

NBA DFS Ownership – Main Slate

NBA Data Central

Top Batters Tool: DraftKings

DFS Winners from the Stokastic Community

Subscribe to the Stokastic newsletter

DFS advice, exciting promos, and the best bets straight to your inbox

Stokastic.com - Daily Fantasy Sports and Sports Betting Data, Tools, & Analytics

Please play responsibly. Only customers 21 and over are permitted to play. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem and wants help, call 1-800-GAMBLER.