The second of four stops in California over the next month, the PGA Tour heads to the Farmers Insurance Open for one of my favorite PGA DFS weeks of the year. For most of the prominent golfers on tour, it’s their first full-field event and we have to make the right PGA DFS picks for our DraftKings and FanDuel daily fantasy golf lineups.
Here is what you can expect to find in this article, with some new additions:
- The Tournament & Format
- Course Commentary
- Course Facts & Figures
- PGA DFS Course Summary & Statistical Comparison
- PGA DFS Preview, including sweat sheet and now featuring optimal lineups from last year’s event
- Player Preview
PGA DFS Picks & Preview | DraftKings & FanDuel
The Tournament and Format
Trying to accommodate as many players as possible, the PGA Tour uses both courses here at the beautiful Torrey Pines. That allows them to extend the field to 156 players, with the golfers playing each of the courses over the first two days. After the completion of Round 2, the field will be cut to 65 golfers and golfers will play just the South Course for the final two days.
Torrey Pines Municipal Golf Club
Owned by the city of San Diego, Torrey Pines covers 1,700 acres of some of the most beautiful real estate in the world. The golden coast is in full effect on both courses, with sights and sounds of the Pacific within eyesight multiple times in the round. Much is made about this course being the sister property to Bethpage Black in New York, and the long and difficult setup provides a staunch test for the PGA Tour year in and year out. In fact, this year the North Course will host the U.S. Open.
Farmers Insurance has been what the title sponsor of this tournament since 1996, and this tournament has been played at Torrey Pines since 1968. That gives us almost 60 years’ worth of data to analyze.
Latest PGA DFS Content
- FanDuel Golf Cheat Sheet: Best PGA DFS Picks for the Hero World Challenge | Jon Rahm
- DraftKings Golf Cheat Sheet: Best PGA DFS Picks for the Hero World Challenge | Cameron Young
- RSM Classic DFS Golf Picks: Tom Hoge Poised for Low Scores on Sea Island
- 2022 RSM Classic PGA DFS First Look | Golf DFS Strategy
- 2022 RSM Classic PGA DFS Preview: Jump on Matthew NeSmith Early
- Awesemo DFS on Youtube
Course Facts & Figures Torrey Pines Municipal Golf Course
- Par 72: 7,698 South Course
- Par 72: 7,258 North Course
- North Course: 33/49 or -1.426
- South Course: 7/49 or +.534
- Par 3’s — 200, 175 ,221, 223
- Par 4’s — 450, 390, 490, 460, 460, 420, 440, 480, 450, 504
- Par 5’s — 560, 614, 614, 570
Grass Types & Hazards
- Grass Type: Poa Throughout
- Average Green: 5,000 square feet
- Water Hazards: 1
- Bunkers: Lots
- Rough Length: 3 inches
- William Bell
Facts and Figures
- Off the Tee: If missing the fairway is the problem in a golfer’s game, then he will fit right in here at Torrey Pines. Last year it ranked as the toughest course to hit the fairway on, coming in shy of 53% of the time. Because of its length, however, the average drive pushes over 290 yards, ranking it 22nd.
- Approach to the Green: While the rough may be long, the greens in regulation are a bit higher than one would think, coming in at 67% last year. That was good enough for 22nd easiest.
- Around the Green: When the ball does miss the green, a golfer will have about a 60% chance to get it up and down. That also ranked 22nd, but this time it was hardest on the PGA Tour last year.
- On the Green: The greens ranked 21st on tour last year.
PGA DFS Course Summary & Statistical Comparison
Hitting fairways is always a premium at Torrey Pines, but at 7,700 yards not just anyone can plod and poke their way around. Length has to be a factor.
The Farmers Insurance Open: Fantasy Golf and PGA DFS Preview | DraftKings + FanDuel
There are a couple of additions to this section. I will highlight the upcoming week and what contests are offered, and then I will go over the winning GPP lineups from last year’s three price points. Finally, we’ll look to the DFS sweat sheet to see where the golfers will be scoring the most DFS points this week.
PGA DFS slate Preview
With the strongest field suspected to gather in San Diego this week, DK is giving us our biggest GPP yet a 1 million guaranteed with 250 thousand up top! wow. They also are giving us a larger field higher dollar buy-in GPP, the $100 level, with 100K to first as the prize. It looks like the $44 club twirl is getting pushed off this week, given the fact that DK bumped up the $10 or $12 buy-in to the $20 level.
Previous Year PGA DFS DraftKings Results
I’ll cover three buy-in levels: The large-field GPP, the high-dollar GPP and the single-entry mid-level buy-in. I’ll also provide a couple of notes on the overall scoring of the event.
- The tournament’s average score (of golfers that made the cut) was 71 points, with the highest being 119 and the lowest being 51.
- Only four golfers scored over 100 points.
Optimal Farmers Insurance Open Lineup from Last Year
PGA DFS Sweat Sheet South Course
Three of the four par 4’s equal about 36% of the total PGA DFS scoring. That’s showcasing just how important it is to score on those holes this week. In terms of scoring, the best chances at a birdie streak would be holes 9-11 or 17, 18 and one.
Previous Winners for The Farmers Insurance
- 2020: Marc Leishman (-15)
- 2019: Justin Rose (-21)
- 2018: Jason Day (-10)
- 2017: Jon Rahm (-13)
- 2016: Brand Snedeker (-6)
There is plenty of action here this week, with half of the world’s top 50 here to play and 45 of the top 100. That’s typical for this event, as a lot of golfers choose Torrey Pines as a kicking off point to their year. Among them is Rory McIlroy, who failed to beat out Tyrell Hatton on the European Tour’s opening tournament in Abu Dhabi. Much of the early-week coverage and chatter will be about Jon Rahm, who had to withdraw from this past week’s event due to a sore back. Supposedly the injury happened in the gym, so it’ll be interesting to see how that unfolds.
Lastly, for all of you that are wondering, yes, Jordan Spieth is making his season debut this week.
Looking for more fantasy golf and DraftKings and FanDuel PGA DFS picks content? We have loads of Farmers Insurance Open articles, data, DraftKings and FanDuel PGA DFS Picks cheat sheets and more on the Awesemo PGA home page. Just click HERE.
Expert Golf Betting Tool | Prop Bet Projections
PGA DFS Ownership Rankings
PGA DFS Ownership Projections
PGA DFS Rankings for DraftKings, FanDuel & Yahoo
PGA DFS Projections for Showdown and Weekend Daily Fantasy Golf
Fantasy Golf: PGA DFS Projections for DraftKings, FanDuel, and Yahoo
Top Golfers Tool – PGA DFS Simulation Results for DraftKings, FanDuel and Yahoo
FanDuel Golf Cheat Sheet: Best PGA DFS Picks for the Hero World Challenge | Jon Rahm